Wednesday, February 06, 2008

What are some of the worst things you can say in a work setting?

OK, you've mastered what not to say in your personal relationship (or at least you can sleep at night believing you do): "Yes, you actually do look fat in that"..."That receeding hairline does make you look older"..."You didn't mind me having drinks with my old boyfriend/girlfriend/hubster/wife"....

Nope. These kinds of comments don't garner much love and happiness and though the couch really does fold out into a bed as promised, a cardboard box on a steam grate would be much, much better.


Now, turning to work, I know that I've heard some stunning things in work and professional settings. Some are just silly and some are career killers. Here are a few of my favorites:

  • That's not my job (from someone who kept telling me that he was promotion-ready)

  • I got so smashed at that conference (from a woman who later said that the men in the firm didn't take her seriously)

  • Can I touch your hair (this from a man I'd just, just met who was considering hiring me as his business coach. Use your imagination on what I might have said to him when he just stuck his hands into my hair...at a Starbucks...over a cuppa joe and a chai latte)
Now, dish. What are yours? Karma credits if you tell us how you found a helpful way to bring the poor schmuck back from the cliff's edge. Karma demerits if you tell us, with great gusto, how you pushed the silly fool over!


All the Very Best,

Lalita

Chime in here or at

0 comments: